Monday, July 1, 2013

6/24/13 Email to Dad

Good Morning! 

I have been struggling with my studies the past couple of mornings. Sometimes it is hard to keep your eyes open! I can do so much better. The whole mission met with President and Sister Miller yesterday. It was kind of like their goodbye. Sister Miller really stressed about after the mission to not let the following stop: prayer and scripture study. And when we have a family to ALWAYS have family scripture study, family prayer, family home evening, family dinner, and family vacation. She talked about how they never missed doing these things and it was not easy, but they are blessed because of it. She also told us a story that goes as follows: Her son had went to medical school and was applying for his residency at a place in Pennsylvania that is really hard to get into. He flew there the night before and his interview wasn't until the next afternoon. So he decided to go to a museum in the morning before he went to his interview, but it ended up being closed. He walked a little ways and there was a man begging for money or food. Her son took him to get some food and talked with this man. Afterwards, he met with a panel of people to interview for the residency. The last question they asked him was "How did you spend your time this morning?" He was able to explain to them what happened and he ended up getting the residency. So the point to this story was to spend our time wisely and we will be blessed by it. 
Love you lots. I hope you have a wonderful day!
Love 
Elder Alpin


On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Tom Alpin <tomalpin2002@gmail.com> wrote:
Matt,
Good day to you fine sir!  Hope this email finds you of good cheer as it is P-day and you get a little rest from the work.  What is it like to be so focused on one primary purpose each and every day of the week?  To not have to worry about your food, clothing or shelter or how you are going to pay the bills?  You really get to put all of your energy into studying, preparing and preaching the gospel…right?  Sure you have a schedule to keep and things that must get done, but striving to have the Spirit of the Lord with you all the time and making yourself ready to receive His instructions…WOW!  I can hardly imagine this because I have never been in your situation, but I sure it is not as easy as one might think…right?  Well, I was just trying to visualize your life right now and mentally put myself in your spot, but find this hard to do.  This much I know without a doubt that what you are doing will have a profound effect on the rest of you and everything you do with your life, your education and your family, not to mention your service to the church and your community.  This is such a great process for you at this time in your life when so many young people are trying to discover who they are and what they want to do with their life, yet wandering aimlessly in the world, lost in a way…this was me when I was your age.  I worked hard in high school to get good grades, worked hard with 2 jobs to save money for college only to find myself lost with no direction or understanding and worse yet…no support system to help me.  I struggled in college and left for employment, so alone as I moved a few times trying to connect with my purpose, but lost for sure.  My workaholic ways helped me with success in my job but not in marriage and fatherhood.  It was not until I was at the brink of losing everything that I had worked so hard for that I knew there was something important missing and I had to find it.  Success in the world caused failure in my home, I was selfish and had to change and the Lord’s way is to humble us…I was humbled for sure.  As a single parent I had to find what I needed and what was truly most important in life for my young son.  It was the gospel and the love of a church family that gave me friendship and comfort that I needed, but the road to repentance, attendance and activity were not easy with daily and weekly trials as we held to the iron rod.   Of course life has become easier in some ways but the trials of life have never gone away and for this I am thankful…the trials of life are what keeps us on our toes and humble.  As we progress the trials are different for today it is not necessary a trial to develop a testimony like is was back then for there have been so many spiritual experiences that have helped forge a faith and belief in many areas, but it is the most simple things of the day that can sneak up on you if you are not constantly doing the most basic things of the gospel, like praying and reading and doing service.  This is the foundation that I know you are creating, a foundation that will continue to give you strength everyday of your life.  Stay strong my young son, live to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost with you always, that you may feel the Spirit often.  Have you felt God’s love today?  Have you felt the influence of the atoning sacrifice lately?  Have you felt the companionship of the Holy Ghost today?  If not, then why?  If so, then do you obey its promptings?  May you always have the love and comfort you need as you strive to obey the Spirit of God!
 Be of good cheer in all that you do and the Lord will be with you, I love you so much!
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment